Wednesday 16 December 2009

Vast cars

What is this thing with undertakers and their hearses and limousines? Are we talking customer focus here, or idolatry? I really don’t know the answer—I mean that.

As the UN climate talks in Copenhagen reach their climax, and at a time when people are finding it more and more difficult to stump up the cost of a funeral, the People’s Undertaker in Coventry has just taken delivery of two Jaguar hearses and a limousine at around £90,000 each. What’s the depreciation on one of those? Ten grand a year?

I’m not sure that Darryl Smith, general manager of funerals at the Heart of England Co-op, knows what they are all about, either. But here’s his rationale: “This substantial level of investment clearly demonstrates the Society’s philosophy of being at the heart of the community as well our ongoing commitment to providing a first class service to our clients and offering them the ultimate in style and comfort.”

How bonkers is that? Or not bonkers, as the case may be? I am conflicted. Let’s try it for size. I go out and buy an inordinately expensive, fuel-hungry motorcar which will stretch the family budget no end and bugger up the climate bigtime, which is why everyone else is buying smaller, fuel-efficient cars. I drive home and issue this statement from, I don’t know, my doorstep, perhaps: “This substantial level of investment clearly demonstrates my philosophy of being at the heart of the community as well my ongoing commitment to providing a first class service to my good lady wife and her beautiful children, offering them the ultimate in style and comfort.”

You be the judge. My mind is entirely open. Does a nice motorcar a good funeral make? Two schools of thought, perhaps.

The photo at the top is of the headstone of a murdered member of the Lithuanian mafia, not a funeral director. Or is it the other way around? Sorry, I’ve lost the caption.

Do, please, take issue with me. At this very dull time of the year an honest blogger must lob a few extra chillis into the mix.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Rupert Callender said...

Lance Armstrong's autobiography is called "It's not about the Bike." here here.
Does explain why the people's undertaker is so damn expensive..

16 December 2009 at 23:17  
Blogger Charles Cowling said...

It may be that Blogger is not letting you leave a comment at the moment. It does this sort of thing a lot. I should have gone with Wordpress.

If you'd like to post a comment, but can't, email it to me and I'll post it for you: charles@goodfuneralguide.co.uk

17 December 2009 at 11:58  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

"Comments" at the bottom of a post is coming up, on my laptop, as "cannot display page". I've just circumvented that by clicking on "previous posts".

And I thought I was the most inept at internet technology; someone pat me on the back!

18 December 2009 at 15:39  
Blogger Charles Cowling said...

Well done you for sneaking past a sleeping Blogger. Deftly done, Jonathan. Keep channelling your inner geek. We love to hear from you!

Consider yourself patted.

18 December 2009 at 17:57  
Anonymous Jonathan said...

But back to limousines...maybe folks want a last ride to be in luxury. The question in my mind is, who put that idea into their heads in the first place? Which came first; supply or demand?

Sometimes people baffle me too. But I think I'm destined for bafflement as long as I'm in this curious world. For instance; I'm a vegetarian, but I can't understand people's squeamishness about dead bodies when they're happy to roast them and put them on their dining tables to eat.

18 December 2009 at 23:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New hearse?

It could just be a matter of careful tax planning. If you're making the money, rather than just pay it over to the HMRC, you may as well "invest" it in possibly your largest tax loss - your motor fleet.

At the same time, you're "getting one over" on Bloggs funerals over the road, with your sparkling new hearse.

Possibly it's firms making up for a lack of "personal service" - blind the clients with gleaming black paintwork.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I've always thought there is something ever so slightly vulgar about a brand new hearse. No history, so to speak.

All that glisters etc., so I'm quite happy with my "socially acceptable" middle-aged hearse.

I don't have to inflate my prices to run it, and it departed from Pollmann's production line just prior to all those lovely computerized models that cut-out at the slightest little problem.

It'll do me. Or, is it my humble excuse for lack of investment?

- Nick

19 December 2009 at 03:38  
Blogger Rupert Callender said...

Jonathan,
Your comment about people's squeamishness is bizarre. I will put it down to low blood sugar.

19 December 2009 at 11:24  
Blogger Darryl Smith said...

I think that you will find most organisations reinvest in their businesses or they soon find that there competitors have surpassed them. You may be interested to note that these vehicle replacements are part of an ongoing fleet renewal policy, similar to how most people would renew their own car, albeit it that my renewals vary between 5 and 7 years. It should also be noted that the Jaguar brand is of particular importance to the people of Coventry as anyone with any historical knowledge of motor manufacturing in the UK would appreciate.

26 January 2010 at 09:53  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home