Monday 15 June 2009

Best in show 1



I spent a joyous day on Friday at the National Funeral Exhibition, an expo dedicated wholly to the merchandise and service providers of death. How much fun can that be? A lot, let me tell you. A great occasion for dismal traders (any colour so long as it’s black or green). Surreal—and sublime.

But you don’t want to know about new generation hearses or the man holding masterclasses in reconstructing smashed up heads. Me neither. We are much more interested in lovely people doing life-enhancing things, aren’t we?

People like Paul Sinclair, the motorcycle funeral man. He's a national treasure. At the end of the day he gave me a ride in his sidecar and then, knowing I'd once had one, let me drive it. Woo-hoo stuff. I'm still thrilling.

For me, two stand outs. The first was Sarah Walton’s memorial ware.

The urge to commemorate our dead with a vertical physical marker (flat won’t do) is as old as humankind. It’s an urge that’s not going to be educated out of us, for all that we can see that conventional cemeteries decay, their older graves testaments to amnesia. The natural burial movement has yet to address this to the emotional and spiritual satisfaction of their clients, most of whom find it hard to curb the urge to mark the spot.

As Thomas Friese has it, “As presently conceived, green burial forbids or strictly limits enduring grave markers to favor ecological factors. This is a short-sighted aspect of its conception, which forgets that a cemetery is not merely a place to dispose of dead bodies but to memorialize and honor human lives. A majority of society will not accept no memorialization; widespread acceptance will thus be impaired.”

I don’t have the answer. But I have a belief that a physical marker does not, for many, need to be over the spot where the body lies—or the ashes. And that’s why I am a believer in the garden memorial. It’s close. It beautifies where you live. You can take it with you when you move.



Sarah’s bird baths and doves are sculptural rather than utilitarian. They are as beautiful as anything I have ever seen. Technically, they are astonishing. They are hollow, you can keep ashes in them, but you don’t have to. No photo does justice to them.

I’m going to talk her up wherever and whenever I can. Get used to it. Check out her website. Not only is she an artist, she is also, you will want to know, one of the very warmest, nicest people in the world.

Cremation urn for a cat by Sarah Walton

4 Comments:

Anonymous Tony Piper said...

I had the privilege of being just a few yards from Sarah's stand, and she came over and chatted to me quite a few times during the show (I was stand-bound, so couldn't move).

She has an deeply intuitive sense of aesthetic, and now she has aligned it with her strong desire to create pieces that have such a profoundly important role, she is beaming from ear to ear.

If the overwhelmingly positive responses of her visitors translate into sales I'm sure she will do as well as she deserves...

15 June 2009 at 19:30  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Charles
Good to see you amidst all the black and green things as well as the gold bling at the weekend.
I too was mesmerised by Sarah’s beautiful work and kept walking by to see them and touch them again.
I agree that memorialisation of the dead is needed and we are increasingly seeing that not at the place were the body is /was or the place were the person died . I was struck by the work and passion of Andrew Daniels following the death of his brother. Andrew has created one of the best remembrance sites I have seen www.muchloved.com
The virtual cemetery -- does it honour the dead more than a cemetery or is it just in a different way ? Are we losing or gaining by replacing the physical body with pictures on a computer screen ?
Other creative and lateral ways included the lovely work of Louise Harris, Sentiment Farewells

I so enjoyed the National Funeral Exhibition and loved meeting people and have come away inspired.

Susan

15 June 2009 at 19:47  
Blogger Sentiment said...

Sarah’s bird baths are amazing and so is she! I was lucky enough to be exhibiting next to her at the Exhibition. She was a joy to work next to and very inspiring. There was an incredible amount of interest in her work which was lovely to see. I wish Sarah all the luck with her fantastic business

16 June 2009 at 13:07  
Blogger Antler said...

Several years ago, one of our clients had her husband's ashes made into a very decorative bird-bath...they were mixed in with the concrete and cast into shape.

It/he graced her garden for a while and the birds enjoyed the new bath...until some bugger made off with him/it.

It just makes me wonder - really it does...what with the increase in garden theft... you'll call me a cynic, but then, you didn't see the poor woman's face!

22 June 2009 at 21:16  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home