Friday 7 November 2008

Ghastly good taste



One mistake this blog will never make: it will never engage in debates about taste. Each to their own, I say, all the while keeping my personal views encased in concrete behind a suave and serene demeanour. “We’re one but we’re not the same”, as my good friend Bono so sagely sings. So right, Bono.

Over in India there’s a growing fad for inviting a celeb to the funeral to offer condolences to the mourners. It costs, of course, but it doesn’t half add prestige both to the event and to the dead person’s family.

Could it catch on in the UK? What do you think? If you’re going to drape the coffin in a Liverpool flag and tell everyone to dress in Liverpool shirts (or at least something red), why not pay Steven Gerrard a few bob to come along and wring a few hands?

I don’t think I’ll be looking for a themed funeral, so I won’t be looking for a themed celeb. But I’m definitely into the overall notion. And yes, now that I think of it, I want that lovely Ric Griffin from Holby at mine. His empathic presence will surely blunt death's sting. 

You?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'd like Pamela to spend a few bob getting the utterly delicious looking, clever, and wickedly funny Lauren Laverne (who commentates Glastobury and the Culture Show) to impress my few friends (and even fewer relatives) one last time. She could certainly bring her equally delicious sidekick Mark Kermode, who could comfort Pamela with conversation about film and new authors - thereby giving her a sense that there was indeed life after James -

7 November 2008 at 17:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were thinking of offering a service where two attractive, distraught strangers, male or female depending on client preference, had a catfight over the coffin, only to be bundled out by us. This is the deluxe option. There would be a more basic service which would be a solitary sniveling beauty who left discretely at the end. Anyone who has seen the film White Mischief might remember Sarah Miles unusual tribute to the dead Charles Dance. Now that's a eulogy.

8 November 2008 at 11:06  
Blogger Antler said...

Oh wow....I think Sandi Toksvig would be my choice of guest at my funeral....always a barrel of laughs - but then again I would miss it, wouldn't I?

8 November 2008 at 13:22  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'd like Stephen Fry to research, write and deliver a tribute to me. We've never met, so he wouldn't find it too difficult, and he'd do a wonderful job.

9 November 2008 at 18:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would demand Russell Brand's attendance in the vague hope of reflected edginess

12 November 2008 at 18:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home